Trail Talk
June 26, 2017, 01:22:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backpacking the Trail  (Read 22631 times)
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:08 AM »

Captain Blue,

It is at the top of this page.   If you are like me you always go to the bottom of the page to see the new post.  However, Buckeye, put the poll at the top of the page which for the average person makes it easier to see.

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end. -- Ursula K. LeGuin
Buckeye
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »

Where is the link for the poll? Or do we vote in this discussion?

Check the top of the page within this discussion, it shows there.

As for Grandma, I'll stick with my quote...no one can tell me an older woman who used a shower curtain for a tent and Keds tennis shoes as boots doesn't deserve the credit!   Grin

Buckeye
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 12:17:41 PM »

Duh. Thanks guys. Whenever I ask where something is it is usually right in front of my eyes.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
connie
BTA Board
Day Hiker

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »

All board members would like to see a back pack trail. If you come up with a plan, you will see board help to the extent that our limited resources allow, but we need help.

We want to begin two Trail Towns in 2011, (critical to back packing?) to try to get local support to keep the trail in good shape leading into and out of the town.  If your committee comes up with a likely 100 miles, why not try to get Andrew to put one of your towns in right now.  And then help him with the project.  And get someone on Deb Zampini's trail dev committee to discuss concerns you may have within your 100 miles section.  Plan with Rick Adamson for a work party in 2012 for your 100 mile section.  Make a proposal to Jim Runk for a shelter you may need on your 100 mile section.  Work with poppie to get BS involvement for maintenance in your 100 mile section.  Contact Jeff Yoest and make nominations for the upcoming election of board members (jeffyoest@columbus.rr.com). 

Last year, two dozen Girl Scouts became lost on the trail in AEP lands. Honestly, that situation made me feel more unhappy than the sniping in this forum.  At least you know there is no back pack trail and the BT is not telling you otherwise.  We told that troup there was a trail and it went missing.   Until we get to the position where we have a distinguishable trail for 1400 miles, you will not see this board member sacrificing 1300 miles for 100 (but I will support your efforts).  PS.  I am up for re-election.         

There is a backpack adventure scheduled on the BT for May, Bowerston section.  Why not sign on and have five days of chatting with board members and BT leadership.  May 9-15.  ilovehiking3@cinci.rr.com (513) 398-9527 (John Rethman)
Buckeye
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »

Hi Connie,

I have reached out to some of the folks you have listed, more than once, only to never get a reply to my inquiries.  I have volunteered my labor, come up with ideas I am willing to assist with, only to receive no reply.  I have found a great place for a shelter in Loveland, and am willing to help contact the property owner and help build it, only to never get a reply when I reached out, twice, to the section supervisor, seeking some sort of direction/approval.  

I have talked to more ex-members than I care to admit to, to hear the same story, and always with frustration.

But, now, having said all that, I have come across a few folks who actually respond, who encourage ideas, and if they could, they would probably act upon them.

I agree completely, we do not want to sacrifice the rest of the trail for a one hundred mile backpacking trail, we should be working on both.  Get these backpackers to assist with the one hundred mile section while we keep working on the rest.

Buckeye (who is running for board this year)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:29:36 PM by Buckeye » Logged
carabinerguy
BTA Board
Day Hiker

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »

Just to remind people and maybe inform ATwalker if he fid not about it that each of the last few years we have had one week backpacking trips on the BT under the auspices of the MAC committee. They have been quite well attended and are always posted on the website. We are trying to arrange more camping locations to extend the possibilities.
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »

carabinerguy,

Thanks for the information and I appreciate you taking the time to write.  However, I am not into the group backpacking trips and ect.  I have never left for a backpacking trip with more than 1 or 2 people and most of the time it is alone, which I enjoy.  I am basically a loner and do not use backpacking as a social gathering.  Not to put anyone else down, but that is just me. 

I sincerely do thank you for the information though. 

Have a great day.

Ed

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end. -- Ursula K. LeGuin
darlenek
Day Hiker

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »

What is needed to make it happen?  Lots of land owner negotiations.  Some land purchases.  Easements written.  Trail and shelters built.  It will take people..lots of people.  Thus, my ongoing bandwagon has been membership.  We currently see about 15% of the total membership actively involved.  Triple the membership and we can triple the active membership.

I think it's worth mentioning again - We need more active members to make things like this happen.
Buckeye
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:24 AM »

True, more active members helps, but when active members DO step up, and do not get any responses, those active members get frustrated, stop offering help, and eventually stop being a member.

And of course I realize that we are all volunteers (except for that director dude), but if one volunteers, then one has to commit to the role they have volunteered for, yes?

Buckeye
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »

Based on the poll that was taken it looks very obvious most people want to use the Buckeye Trail, as a true backpacking trail (over 85%), which is as it should be in my opinion.  However, other than the few that post regularly on here it is also obvious that is not what the organization has wanted in the past nor seems to be what they want in the future.   
 Grin
Some people on here have some great ideas and ask some simple questions and they are accused of “bashing the board members”, which I feel was totally unfounded and was not the case at all.  Since I am not a board member or even a BT member anymore, I really do not care what anyone says about me and I have no right to complain.  However, I do not think it is fair to accuse those who are members of  “bashing”.

I will continue to read the forum and see what is happening but I will not post much or hike the BT since it is not my idea of a true trail, it is a lot of day hikes strung together.    I can find better places to do day hikes closer to where I live.  I did not do the Appalachian Trail just to get the certificate or to say I accomplished it.  I did it and still do it for the backpacking adventure, meeting new people and learning the history of the land.  I would love to backpack around Ohio and see it close up and learn the history, but for me it is not something I would want to do or could even afford to do as it now stands.  I do not mean to downgrade anyone else for whatever reason they hike the BT and I realize for you folks it has meant a lot of expense, planning, driving and staying in commercial establishments to accomplish your goal.  Since I am following Captain Blue in his blog, I see the many challenges each of you face to do the entire BT and my hat is off to you and I wish you the very best.

Just my 2 cents, now that I finally got the nerve to post it.   

Wojo
Day Hiker

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »

I have to agree with Buckeye, it is frustrating when you don't get a response from your section supervisor. I have learned to go to those people that do respond and not worry about the others. There are a number of dedicated volunteers that work very hard to make things happen.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 07:49:41 AM »

I can understand the perception that the BTA is not interested in a backpacking-capable trail.  But I can assure you that is not the reality.

First, I will say that there is no desire on the part of the trustees to make the BT into another AT.  What I mean is they do not want a 1400 miles woodland footpath that avoids "civilization" as much as possible. There are many trails for people that want that experience (like the AT, PCT and many smaller ones).  The goal is for the BT to offer a different and unique foot-powered experience...one that follows some woodland trails, but also old towpaths, old rail beds, travels through major cities like Dayton and leads to historical and cultural features of Ohio.

However, I can say with certainty that even with that vision, the trustees want hikers to be able to backpack that trail as much as feasibly possible. They envision a trail with campsites available at a day's hike around the state.

Now the reality.  Pick up a map of Ohio.  Not a AAA map, but one that shows land usage and ownership.  Where would you put the campsites?  Most will end up on private property. You won't find many landowners willing to allow permanent camping.  Those that do seldom will give an easement, meaning when they sell, we may lose the site.

Public lands are seldom willing to allowing campsites for hikers either.  In West Union, there is a nice lake with a wooded east shore that would be great to getting trail off road.  It is 10 miles from East Fork, making it a great place for a campsite.  It is owned by ODNR.  Guess what?  It is designated a wildlife area.  We cannot even BUILD a trail in it, let alone allow camping.

I could give three more examples of such frustrations just in the West Union section alone.  People ARE trying to get trail off busy roads.  People ARE trying to find good places for campsites.  Private land owners are understandably wary and often require long term nurturing.  Public landowners see hiking - especially backpacking - as a very low priority.

On a positive note, I think this forum alone has helped emphasize the need to work harder at getting more campsites.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how many people (relatively speaking of course) are out there now doing long distance hikes.  (I am also quite jealous of them!).  The best thing that those people can do is talk to people they meet along the way, explain the trail, and present a positive image.  
atwalker
Overnighter

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »

bta geek,

Thank you very much for posting and other than Buckeye and a few others on this site, it is the first and most meaningful post I have read concerning the BT and backpacking opportunities.  I sincerely do appreciate you taking the time to write and explain the situation.   I do realize that it is very difficult to have camping and ect around the state of Ohio just as you explained.  However, in over 30 years of waiting, hoping and wishful thinking, I had not seen much, if any progress made in any area of the state.  I think it has only been in the last few years that people like yourself and others that really want the BT for hikers to be able to backpack the trail as much as feasibly possible. They may now envision a trail with campsites available at a day's hike around the state.  I may be wrong but for the most part that was not the case in the past.  I do think this forum is a great way to share what is going on with the BT and even though some board members may feel it is bashing, I think many of you guys are doing a wonderful job of getting the word out of what is happening on and what needs to be done.   Anyway, thank you very much for the information, and it is the first time a trustee or anyone from the organization has taken the time to respond to any of my questions or concerns.  Sincerely, thank you.    Ed

Ray
Day Hiker

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 01:46:27 PM »

Massillon from the Bolivar - Zoar area through the Bowerston Section, on to Salt Fork in Belle Valley would be close to a nice 100 miles. Four nice off road hikes at the MWCD lakes.
MacCherokee
Day Hiker

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »

its been over a year since anyone responded to this thread?
I assume that means no updates?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: