Trail Talk
August 17, 2017, 05:41:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trails in nearby states.  (Read 8536 times)
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« on: March 13, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »

I've been heading to other states in recent years to spend a week or so walking end to end trails that can be hiked in that length of time.

I started with the LBTL Ky-Tn and hiked the Laurel highlands the next year.  Last year was spent walking from Dayton to Cincy.

Has anyone hiked Loyalsock in Pa or the Knobstone in Indiana?  Both are  3-4 day hikes.  Zaleski is an option but it is about 15 miles fom home and I prefer hiking through things not found in Ohio.

I see the Loyalsock has been mentioned already.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:35:33 PM by Pioneer Spirit » Logged

Circuit Hike Completed.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:48:23 PM »

Well, it is not in a nearby state but the 76 mile Foothills Trail in South Carolina is awesome. It is one of the prettiest 76 mile sections of trail I have hiked in the east.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »

I did look into walking around Tahoe too.  Finishing the BT this year is on the top of the list.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Buckeye
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 05:12:29 PM »

I've done the Spurgeon Hollow-Delaney Loop at Knobstone (the northern end), tough little place.  Some suggest doing the Knobstone as a warm up to the AT.  The southern end is supposed to be tougher than the northern end.  Water is always a concern on the KT, not a lot of water sources and few streams crossings, but one can cache water along the country roads the trail crosses.

Buckeye
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »

When looking over a PA map I was surprised at the many trail crisscrossing the state.  The LHHT crossed over a few and some looked to be unused and overgrown but there were quite a few running a long ways across the state.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:50:48 PM »

I love the Sheltowee in KY.  Runs from TN to almost Ohio

https://sites.google.com/a/thru-hiker.us/www/sheltowee-trace - Not sure if you know about this guidebook. I have a copy, but haven't got a change to use it yet.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 05:16:15 AM »

Not sure if you know about this guidebook. I have a copy, but haven't got a change to use it yet.

Could have used it in 2009.  Left for summer camp with scouts with a hike plan posted on line.  Hike leader changed plans.  When we got on trail, realized he had NO maps.  10 scouts and three leaders hiked 8 hours and came out 1/4 mile from where we started.  Did find a backyard with a pool and lady with Popsicles.  Box has 12 and I was #13.  Hike leader had his consumed prior.  Second day we had a map and the third day when well as we ended at the Natural Bridge in KY.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »

I love the Sheltowee in KY.  Runs from TN to almost Ohio

https://sites.google.com/a/thru-hiker.us/www/sheltowee-trace - Not sure if you know about this guidebook. I have a copy, but haven't got a change to use it yet.

Great booklet, and something that the BTA should model.  There should be a hiking guide for the BT.

Buckeye
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »

Great booklet, and something that the BTA should model.  There should be a hiking guide for the BT.

I agree! But it is a lot easier to do a trail guidebook for 280 mile trail than a 1,400 mile trail.

The mileage and written "turn by turn" info already exists on the maps. I suggest written "turn by turn" info be taken off the maps and made available as a PDF on the BT web site. The extra space on the maps can be used for larger scale, more detail, maps. The turn by turn info can be printed off in a larger font with less cryptic abbreviations for easier reading or downloaded to a smart phone.

Once BTA Greek gets the WikiMedia up and running we can fill in the blanks with more comprehensive town services, local history, etc.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Buckeye
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »

True, Cap'n, but still something the BTA should aspire to do (a hiker's guide).

Love your idea about taking the written info from the maps and making the maps larger.  Plus, one really should be able to not use maps in the first place, IF the trail is blazed!   Wink  Plus, some of the historical info on the maps is incorrect, like the St. Mary's map where it talks about Auglaize County history.  Anthony Wayne was nowhere near Ohio in 1783, and Fort St. Mary's was built in 1793.  And Wayne was NOT defeated by the Indians in 1791, that was Arthur St. Clair's force (and the worse defeat inflicted on an American Army by the Indians in the history of the U.S. - Little Big Horn was nothing compared to the battle that took place in present day Fort Recovery on November 4th, 1791).

Buckeye

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:10:53 PM by Buckeye » Logged
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »

some of the historical info on the maps is incorrect

This is exactly why this information needs to be in a Wiki format. People like you Buckeye, who are self-studied historians, can correct errors and add information.

I wonder what the process is to update the history on a map? How much time would elapse between submitting the correction and having a new version of the map printed? This would be measured in months and years.

How long would it take to update this info in a Wiki format? This would be measured in minutes and hours.

Buckeye
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »

I'm onboard!  I can add some boring historical stuff to the Wiki.   Grin

Buckeye
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »

Arrgh.  Dumped onto two projects at work for this week.  Long days and long commute leaves too little time for fun!  I will get that Wiki up within a week.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »

Don't sweat it, we're not going anywhere.
I have some signs in my office..
 "Nothing is impossible for the people not doing the work."
 "Do what others can't do first, and the rest as time permits."

Backpacking light, feels so right.
traildust
Day Hiker

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »

Does the BT have a separate guidebook?  Seems to me that would be the way to go, like the trail clubs on the A.T. that produce their maps and sections of the A.T..  Sure one guide book would be great but may be a ways down the road.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: