Trail Talk
January 16, 2018, 08:52:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Make plans to attend Buckeye TrailFest 2014, held in Southeastern Ohio!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buckeye Trail By The Numbers?  (Read 6632 times)
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« on: March 12, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »

Just consider this another pesky post by Captain Blue .....

It would be nice if the BTA maintained a sheet of facts and figures about the Buckeye Trail. This could be used to promote hiking on the Buckeye Trail and promote awareness of it.

The Appalachain Trail Conservancy has such a list for the AT. It is only one page. You can see it here:

http://www.willke.com/atbythenumbers.doc

The list can be tweaked for the BT. It could include the number of state park, local parks, or anything else relevant to the BT.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 12:10:02 AM »

Lots of great ideas.. just need some people who have the time, consider it a labor of love, and have access to the information. I suppose spending $110 and getting the complete set of maps would provide most of the info. I have lots of obsolete maps so I'm reluctant to buy more unless I know I will be using them in the near future.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »

Just another thing that a WikiMedia type of page on the website could be used for.

Hey Geek - Any word on a shared media project?
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »

On the To-Do list!  Board meeting and travel to Montreal sucked up all my time this weekend.  Tomorrow (Monday) I have to start doing that 'work for pay' thing again and that really sucks up the time.  I hope to get something set up this week, but don't hold me to it.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:45:15 PM »

Tomorrow (Monday) I have to start doing that 'work for pay' thing again and that really sucks up the time.

Agreed. It sure limits my hiking time.  Cheesy

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »

And while we do this  List historical locations.  One of my projects will be to get BT as a historical trail for the scouts.  Any word on getting me access to the calendar for Circuit Hikes yet?

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Buckeye
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:34:50 PM »

Sorry, Poppie, I just do not see a way to give you access to the calendar.

btageek, what am I missing to get Poppie the ability to post events directly onto the calendar?

Buckeye
Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »

Poppie, I think you can access the calendar now to be able to create events.  Let me know if you have success or not.

Buckeye
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:10:01 PM »

I'd like to see BT posts some shelter numbers.  AT has a a shelter provided for every 8.38 miles of trail.  If the BT could boast stats for even twice that figure, that would make the trail more attractive to backpackers.
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »

I thru hiked the BT two years ago. I don't recall a single shelter on the Buckeye Trail that was built by the BTA. I saw some built by park districts, camps and a Boy Scout. I would say there is an average of one shelter every 400 miles.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:30:52 AM »

We encountered a new one in the Roadfork section made from pine slabs and garage doors.  Don't know who made it.

Circuit Hike Completed.
halfmarathoner
BTA Board
Day Hiker

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »

Sounds like a great project for you Caption Blue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: