Trail Talk
December 17, 2017, 11:20:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Besides maps - what else do you carry?  (Read 11097 times)
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« on: March 11, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »

This question is for those of you who have hiked some of the Buckeye Trail .....

For navigation aides ... what else do you bring on your BT hikes besides the BTA maps?

Would things like GPS, a Delorme Gazetteer pages or Ohio road map come in handy?

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »

State Park maps and road maps.  Definitely a compass.

I have suggested that someone put the compass coordinates on electric towers.

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:53:47 PM »

I sometimes carry regional maps of Ohio where the State is divided into 4 sections.  Gazeteer maps are good to a point although the BT trail is not always in the correct route on some of the maps.  A compass is a good idea too.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Pedologist
Overnighter

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:27:38 PM »

I print out topographic maps from this site and carry them with me for each day-hike: http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/topo-maps.shtml.

1,168 miles completed, including all sections in the main loop.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »

It really depends.  If the majority of the trail is along any sort of road, the BTA map suffices for me, though I always have a compass with me, and often a GPS (more for capturing a track than navigation).

If I will be on trail, especially if I am not familiar with the area, then I, like Pedologist, like to print a topo.  Probably don't need it, just like it.
kathyonbt
Section Hiker

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 06:12:26 PM »

Other than the usual water, snacks, walking stick, dog spray---

I hiked with the CHC Troop F on a number of occasions and they advised a GPS for areas in southern Ohio.  I've pretty much hiked all of northern Ohio and never really had much trouble when using the maps alone.

However, southern Ohio is a little different story.  I have come across instances in fields, woods, etc. where the blazes are covered up by foliage, high grasses, or corn in fields - a compass or GPS is truly helpful at those times when places to put blazes are hard to come by and you can't see very far ahead.

Kathy On BT 
"Not all who wander are lost."
Finished 8/30/2013 and going around again
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »

Between the two, I would always recommend a compass over a GPS.  Maybe I'm just old fashioned.  I often carry a GPS for fun, but almost always navigate with my compass.  One big advantage of a compass over a GPS - the batteries won't die right when you need it most.  I have newer ones, but my 1968 Boy Scout compass still faithfully points to current magnetic north.  I still enjoy pulling out a topo when I'm on a new trail, and using the map, compass and landmarks, try to determine exactly where I am.  GPS's seem to take some of the fun out of that.
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »

The compass I carry points south, so it's often amusing when people are trying to orient their maps.  Grin

Backpacking light, feels so right.
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »

A contrarian compass?  I like it!  Give it some time though.  If I recall my earth science classes, the magnetic poles tend to flip every so often, so one day your compass will indeed point toward Canada.
Charlie Redwood
Overnighter

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »

Comenga Lensatic Compass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: