Trail Talk
June 26, 2017, 01:17:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Talk shop with like-minded hikers and backpackers, discuss the trail, swap gear, plan a hike.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backpacking Gear Talk  (Read 6415 times)
ToddSmith
Day Hiker

« on: February 25, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »

Ditch the two water bottles and holders and get a Platypus, or Camelback.

I prefered the Platypus on the AT, because the opening was a lot easier to fill up in springs and streams,  and you can stand it up quickly without having to put the lid on,  the camelback is always so dang hard to get the lid off and its bulky to put under a trickling spring.

Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »

I don't use the water bottle holders for water, I use a reservoir in the sleeve inside the pack.  I use one water bottle holder to store my tent (running it vertical along side the pack and strapping it with the upper straps).  The other pocket will be used for items quickly needed, water filter or perhaps raingear.
shigadeyo
Day Hiker

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

Ditch the two water bottles and holders and get a Platypus, or Camelback.

I prefered the Platypus on the AT, because the opening was a lot easier to fill up in springs and streams,  and you can stand it up quickly without having to put the lid on,  the camelback is always so dang hard to get the lid off and its bulky to put under a trickling spring.

+1 for Platy over CamelBak!

What did you use for water purification?  Just curious because I am a big Platy fan, but it doesn't work well with SteriPEN, so I end up having to carry some kind of bottle to use for treatment purposes.  I guess that tablets/liquid or a filter would probably be a better option to use directly with the Platy.

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »

I've used both Camel and Platy for water and both have a plus an minus.  I filled the camel with a Katydyn hiker pro through the hose which was easier to me than holding the Platy open in a water source that was not easily reached.  An example was filling at a pond on the Sunrise horse ranch.  The stream and pond banks may be too steep to allow easy access to the water.  I filled the Camel while sitting on a log over a stream near Defiance.

The Platy has a beefier closure, I broke the hanging tab off of the Camelback where I tied it to a modified pack.

The Platypus has a filter between two bags and can be hung up to drain into the clean bag.   

I found that by using a combination of bags and hoses that I can get a better system.

Circuit Hike Completed.
shigadeyo
Day Hiker

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »

The Platypus has a filter between two bags and can be hung up to drain into the clean bag.   

Ah, sounds like you were using the Play GravityWorks Water Filter and not just a Platy reservoir/hydration system.

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

I have the Platypus Clean Stream Gravity Filter I use with the scouts .. easy way to filter gallons of water.
http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-Clean-Stream-Gravity-Filter/dp/B001HZ6XXA

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Pioneer Spirit
Circuit Hiker

Walking the land my ancestors tamed.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »

I have the Platypus Clean Stream Gravity Filter I use with the scouts .. easy way to filter gallons of water.
http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-Clean-Stream-Gravity-Filter/dp/B001HZ6XXA

Yes that is the one.  Frequently you are by the water but can't reach it without getting something wet, feet, knees etc. That is where the hose on the Katydin comes in.  I frequently use the Platy hooke dup to Camel hoses and parts.

NalgeI frequently find Camel style bags in the thrift store cheap and Nalgenes for under $1.

Circuit Hike Completed.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »

I see the Deuter ACT and FUTURA advertised.  Any comments on these two backpacks?

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
ToddSmith
Day Hiker

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »

Shigadeyo I used the drops for my Thru of the AT,  now use a Kataydn filter
shigadeyo
Day Hiker

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »

I have an old SweetWater filter.  I haven't checked to see if the "out" will fit the Platy tube.  If it does, that would be a good deal.  I have a SteriPEN, but it can be finicky sometimes (especially if the water is REALLY cold).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: