Trail Talk
May 26, 2017, 01:26:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See our events page for the latest hikes and other events on the Buckeye Trail.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BT Wiki Trail Guide?  (Read 22835 times)
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« on: February 24, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »

It is probably going to be a while before the Buckeye Trail has a comprehensive and accurate trail guide for use by long distance hikers and section hikers. Why not create a Wikipedia type trail guide on www.buckeyetrail.org? The content can be continually updated by lots of hikers and not just the editor of a guide book.

The Wiki guide could contain mileages between points, parking locations, campsites, parks, town services, historical info, etc. With a Wiki format the guide could be easily updated if something changes. Any thoughts on this?

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
Buckeye
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »

I personally ove this idea, but then again the maps do handle a lot of what you suggest (mileages between points, some campgrounds, town services, and historical info...although sometimes the historical data is incorrect).  There is a chap (btageek can speak more to this) who is doing a lot of GPS work for future maps (the newer maps are much cleaner (digitized)). 

But, having said that, I truly believe there is a need to updated, online data, an online thru-hikers guide as it were.

Buckeye
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »

Yes, the maps do provide much of this information. A quick check of the maps show that 10 of the maps are five or more years old. I've got to believe that some of the information on them is out of date especially town services. Sometimes having no information is better than having incorrect information.

Buckeye Trail Thru Hiker - BTA Life Member - DaytonHikers.Org Founder - BuckeyeTrailHiker.com - Appalachian Trail 7,400 Miler
ToddSmith
Day Hiker

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:35:43 AM »

All of your suggestions are good, but it takes tons of time and money to do these things.  If the BT got as much funding as other National trails did then we could have more than 1 paid employee and possibly we could hire a cartographer(sp)  map guy whatever you call him.  I agree it would be nice to have a guidebook like the AT or PCT but it just takes soo much time and I think the little bit of time we do have we better use it to at least try to keep the trails kinda clean. 

Buckeye
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 09:44:08 AM »

Putting together this type of info, in a Wiki format, is fairly cheap (i.e. free).  If a Wiki page were set up, then all of us could contribute, adding details as needed, changing details as the trail changes.  Doesn't have to cost much of anything to do this if done online.

Buckeye
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:23:27 AM »

It looks like the NCT has already started something like this:

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/guide/index.php/Main_Page

There is a lot of good information on the BT on the Ohio page.

BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »

I like the idea!  So - I went to the Control Panel for the BT website hosting service, and lo and behold, they now support installation of four Wiki-like products.  I plan to research all four, checking out their home pages, but if anyone here has experience using any of the following on other sites, please let me know your thoughts.

MediaWiki
WikkaWiki
DocuWiki
PM Wiki

Thanks.  May try to get something up this weekend, though it is also the weekend to prepare member updates and mailing labels for the Spring (I love to say SPRING) Trailblazer so it is already a busy one.  And Saturday already looks like a 'get out and hike' day.
Buckeye
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:15:56 PM »

Looks like the NCT are using MediaWiki. 

I've added things to Wikipedia, so I am vaguely familiar, but not enough to take it on fully.

Buckeye
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »

At first pass, MediaWiki looks like the most robust, though I have not delved to deeply into any of them.  MediaWiki says it is ideal for sites receiving up to one million hits per day!

Well, I can dream, can't I! Smiley
Captain Blue
BTA Board
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »

Good deal! I am no expert on these Wikis but it looks like MediaWiki might be the best. No new releases from WikkaWiki since 2009. PmWiki looks to be more oriented to regular looking web pages. DocuWiki might be a good choice since it stores the data in plain text files and not a database.

shigadeyo
Day Hiker

I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »

There are many Wiki options available.  The four most popular and feature-rich options are DokuWiki, MediaWiki, PmWiki, and Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware. 

There was a SMF Wiki mod project underway, but it appears to be stalled and only available for SMF 2.x.  Unfortunately, integrating SMF and other Wiki packages (or any other software in general) is difficult due to differences in "free" OpenSource licensing.  I can continue to investigate if this is something that the BTA is interested in pursuing.

"If one did not have a map, one would get lost, which defeats the purpose of blazing.  A hiker should be able to follow the BT without a map." - Buckeye
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »

The Wiki guide could contain mileages between points, parking locations, campsites, parks, town services, historical info, etc. With a Wiki format the guide could be easily updated if something changes. Any thoughts on this?

To give BTA Geek some extra time, we could discuss some basics.
Where do we want to list as the "start" of the trail?
Do we want the points listed in sequence for hiking clockwise?
Do we want a cumulative mileage listing?
How do we want to handle the loops in the northeast and southeast?
Do we want to have a field/column for GPS links to be filled in?
Is the purpose to be able to access data online point-by-point or for printing out a trail guide?

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Buckeye
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »

Okay, extra time is OVER!  Let's get that Wiki in place!   Grin

In all seriousness, if Geek can get the framework set up, we could be adding great info right now, really helping to jumpstart folks on their section and thru-hikes.

Buckeye
BTA Geek
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:47 AM »

Arrgh.  I was hoping you would forget.  Should have known better.  Okay - I'll get something up very soon. Smiley
Buckeye
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »

Bwa ha ha ha ha!   Tongue

Let me know what I can do to help.  I am certainly going to add content as I can!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: