Trail Talk
October 19, 2017, 07:53:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TRAIL TALK, the Buckeye Trail Forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Medina County  (Read 3690 times)
atwalker
Overnighter

« on: February 21, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »

Hi,

Just to introduce myself as a new member to this forum.  I have hiked parts of the trail but would love to complete a thru hike of it.  I realize that it is not really set up as a backpacking trail, and since I love to be out for multiple days hiking I doubt that I will ever hike it all. 

I do maintain an area in the Akron section but most of it is in a local park. 

I would love to see more opportunities to backpack and camp along the trail and do a thru hike, since I have thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail and many parts of it 4 or 5 times. 

Anyway, I  will be anxious to read all the information from everyone here on the forum. 

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters in the end. -- Ursula K. LeGuin
Couscous
Circuit Hiker

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »

Welcome. Not a lot of activity on here most days. Activity will increase as more people become interested in the site.
I have not purchased all the maps to try and compile a list of which sections allow primitive camping. Maybe someone else has.

Backpacking light, feels so right.
Wojo
Day Hiker

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »

Hi I am in Lorain County and maintain part of the Pemberville Section.
Poppie
Section Hiker

The Buckeye Trail Pie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:55:03 AM »

Try New Straitsville, Scioto Trails, Shawnee, Williamsburg, and Caesar Creek Sections.  I have not been to the east yet.

I have a great 50-miler using Buckeye Trails, Burr Oak SP, Wildcat Hollow, and Wayne National Forest.

Start at SR 23 and head north through the Scioto Trails State Park and Forest.  Check with Forest for camping areas not posted.  Stop at Granny's on SR 50 then head into Tar Hollow and on up to Pretty Run then into Old Man's Cave.

Scioto Trails State Park and Forest is also great.  Stop at Ben's

East Fork State Park has 40+ miles of trails and a backpacking trail.

Hike north through Caesar Creek with primitive Camping, then head north on the bike trail to Yellow springs into the Glen Helen Nature area and across into the John Bryan State Park.

Another great trail is the Zaleski (but why would you want to get off the Buckeye?)

Departng Milford August 14, 2011
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: